Water main brakes are a daily concern for municipalities. It implies depleted water supply, traffic disruptions and high costs of emergency equipment, and lost work time.
The economical concerns are not limited to the cost of repairing and replacing failed pipelines. It includes the cost of losing treated water from leaking systems.
Causes of water main brakes
- Water hammer
- Over pressure
- Installation: pipe depth, type of joints and fittings, workmanship
- Seismic activity, (waves of movement through the earth)
- Low temperatures
- Resistance to corrosion.
- Improved behavior against water hammer due to its low celerity.
- Easiness on installation.
- Excellent behavior against crushing loads.